Since this is a long and detailed guide, we have divided it into different sections that you can navigate to using the navigation below:
- What is mailing?
- How to start a mailing business
- What you need to start a mail-order business
- Choosing a design for your dropshipping store
- Finding mailing products for your website
- Where to find drop shipping vendors and suppliers
- Add mailing products in WooCommerce
- Dropshipping order management in WooCommerce
- Resources and tools to grow your mailing business
- Frequently asked questions about dropshipping with WordPress
What is mailing?
Dropshipping is an online business where an e-commerce store does not keep the products in stock, which means there is no cost of inventory. Instead, when the customer purchases a product, the store owner places the order with the original vendor and asks them to ship the item directly to the customer.
The main difference between a dropshipping business and a traditional e-commerce business is that dropshipping does not require you to store or own any inventory. You also don’t have to deal with any kind of shipping or handling logistics.
When a product is sold through your online store, you simply send the purchase order to a wholesaler or manufacturer who fulfills it.
Due to the low operating cost and ease of setup, dropshipping has become a global e-commerce trend.
The dropshipping business model has some advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before you start.
Advantages of starting a dropshipping store
- Setting up a mailing business requires a much lower investment than a typical online store
- You don’t need to buy products or manage inventory
- You do not need to ship the product yourself
- You can sell a variety of products from different vendors and manufacturers
Cons of starting a dropshipping store
- You do not have control of the quality and availability of the product
- Managing customer expectations can be challenging when you don’t have control over product quality or shipping
- Providing customer support can be challenging
- You will make less profit because instead of buying products in bulk, you will be selling one item at a time
With that said, dropshipping is a proven way to make money online. You can use dropshipping to make extra money on the side or build a great profitable business online.
Let’s take a look at how to properly start a mailing business.
How to start a mailing business
Starting a dropshipping business is not as difficult as you might think. There are tons of ecommerce platforms that allow you to easily set up a dropshipping store without any technical knowledge.
We recommend using WooCommerce due to its low setup costs, the ability to use multiple payment gateways, and the flexibility to customize your online store.
According to Builtwith, WooCommerce is the # 1 software used to build eCommerce stores.
It is also the most popular option among dropshipping stores, mainly because it runs on top of WordPress, the popular website builder. Using WooCommerce gives you access to thousands of WordPress extensions, third-party integrations, and beautiful store designs.
What you need to start shipping with WooCommerce
WooCommerce is available as a free WordPress plugin. You will need a self-hosted WordPress.org website to start your mailing store. For more details, see our guide on the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
To get started with WordPress and WooCommerce, you will need the following elements:
- A domain name (This will be the online address of your store, for example, AprenderWP.com)
- Web hosting account (This is where your website files will be stored)
- SSL Certificate (You will need it to accept online payments)
Typically, a domain name costs $ 14.99 / year, an SSL certificate $ 69.99 / year, and web hosting starts from $ 7.99 / month.
Now, this is not a small investment if you are just starting out.
Fortunately, Bluehost, our hosting partner, has agreed to offer AprenderWP users a discount on hosting with a free domain name + SSL certificate. Basically, you could start for $ 2.75 a month.
→ Click here to claim this exclusive offer from Bluehost ←
Bluehost is one of the largest hosting companies in the world and is an officially recommended hosting provider by both WordPress and WooCommerce.
Once you register, Bluehost will send your login details to your email address. It will also automatically install WordPress for you, so you can easily access the WordPress control panel from your hosting control panel.
Next, you need to install and activate the WooCommerce plugin. See our guide on how to install a plugin in WordPress for detailed instructions.
After activation, WooCommerce will show you a guided setup to select the currency and other basic settings.
For more detailed instructions, check out our tutorial on how to start an online store.